Job Description and Requirements
This salaried position requires an individual with a Bachelors Degree in Accounting (or Business Administration, with an accounting emphasis) to work in a dynamic office environment for a growing company. Extensive PC skills and experience are essential for this position, including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, along with experience using QuickBooks, NetSuite, or similar business accounting software. The Accounting Manager must demonstrate well-developed communication, organizational, and analytical skills to interact effectively with customers, vendors, bankers, and internal staff and management. Successful prior experience managing staff accountants is required. Leads to the Controller position with the Company after establishing a solid grasp of the Accounting Manager role and consistent superior performance reviews.
The Accounting Manager performs a variety of accounting and business tasks and completes special projects in a fast-paced small business environment, including but not limited to those described below.
• Train and develop staff accountants to process daily sales transaction activity, enter standard journal entries, analyze vendor invoices, determine account distribution, and enter associated data in QuickBooks;
• Train and develop staff accountants to efficiently review customer orders and invoices for accuracy and completeness; analyze the size and content of customer orders based on customer order history; adjust as needed; and record sales transactions in QuickBooks;
• Complete month-end accounting closing process and deliver draft financial statements to the Company’s CFO;
• Prepare a variety of periodic business activity reports, analyze report content, and deliver to management;
• Prepare and/or train staff accountants to prepare bank deposits and enter cash receipts in QuickBooks;
• Prepare and/or train staff accountants to prepare bi-weekly payrolls using an outside payroll service, and record payroll activity in QuickBooks;
• Assist the Company’s Vice President – Finance & Administration to implement, track and report on the Company’s employee insurance benefits programs, and participate in other Human Resources administration as needed;
• Work with Sales staff to implement and maintain effective credit and collections procedures;
• Oversee the Company’s monthly physical inventories; prepare, summarize, and analyze physical inventory results; and record associated journal entries;
• Maintain numerous accounting spreadsheets for fixed assets and depreciation calculations, amortization of prepaid accounts, interest calculations and loan payments, and prepare and enter related journal entries;
• Maintain separate sets of books for affiliated companies (such as Cafés) using QuickBooks; requires a solid understanding of POS systems;
• Work with the Company’s President to maintain spreadsheets for tracking the purchases, usage of, and payments of green coffee beans;
• Participate in Accounts Payable and Expense Reporting automation.
• Complete special projects and analyses assigned by the CFO.
• Be willing to participate in other aspects of the business operation, when time permits.
This full time salaried position reports to the Vice President – Finance & Administration (CFO) at the Company’s corporate office in Acton, MA. Salary is dependent on assessment of education, skills and overall experience.
Physical Requirements for Accounting Manager:
Job functions requiring physical activity:
• Filing; accessing and organizing files; lifting and carrying filed paperwork in full Bankers Boxes® to separate on-site and off-site storage locations
• Participating in monthly physical inventories at Acton, MA facility, at café (Newtonville, MA), and at off-site location (Tewksbury, MA); lifting and counting items stored on floor-to-ceiling shelves, some items stored in confined warehouse areas or basement, some items stored off-site in commercial walk-in freezers
• Accessing office supplies stored in 8 foot tall hutch
• Interaction with warehouse and café personnel to resolve various accounting issues and to discuss and implement Company policies, processes, and procedures
• Driving to off-site locations such as banks, post office, café, and customer sites (for credit and collections purposes)
Physical activities include, but are not limited to:
• Bending, stooping, and twisting
• Light and moderate lifting
• Reaching above shoulder; using step-stool or small ladder to access items or observe and count items
• Repetitive motions (extensive data entry (typing) / use of PC)
• Standing and/or walking for extended periods while performing certain functions described above
• Driving personal vehicle for business purposes