Marketing Coordinator – George Howell Coffee
George Howell Coffee was founded in 2004 by veteran coffee pioneer George Howell. George’s life in coffee began in 1974 with his first café, The Coffee Connection in Cambridge’s Harvard Square. The Coffee Connection grew to 24 stores before it was sold to Starbucks in 1994. George started George Howell Coffee with the primary focus and passion to continually identify, source and roast the highest quality coffees available.
We understand that behind every cup of coffee there is a farm with growers who share the same drive and dedication for their craft as we do. In an effort to nurture these relationships, we travel yearly to many of the farms we buy from as well as other coffee producing areas to develop and maintain real and lasting relationships. We are proud to work directly with these farms that share our interest in social responsibility and environmental sustainability. In an ongoing effort to genuinely recognize and demonstrate our respect for the care and costs incurred to produce outstanding quality, George Howell Coffee pays these farms top prices for green coffees.
Our coffee is roasted and sold to order; both to online consumers worldwide and to cafes, restaurants and major grocery retailers in the US and Canada. We recently opened two cafés in Boston – our flagship at The Godfrey Hotel in Downtown Crossing and a smaller café at Boston Public Market. We are a small company looking to grow our business across all channels — wholesale, retail cafés and online.
The Position and Responsibilities:
The Marketing Coordinator will promote the growth, success and activities of the George Howell Coffee through:
• Marketing and public relations,
• Educational program implementation
• Community and business outreach
• Interpret and ensure consistency of our brand, communicating across multiple platforms and mediums including web, print, retail locations/cafes, packaging and social media.
The Marketing Coordinator reports to the Chief Operating Officer. Specific responsibilities include:
Promotion, PR and Events
• Coordinating and managing promotional activities, including outreach to local businesses, residential and colleges to develop activities.
• Develop, coordinate, staff and execute of off-site events.
• Promote our educational coffee events and classes and provide logistical support for the planning and execution.
• Outreach to local press, blogs, calendars, etc to promote coffee related events.
• Active participation in local community and coffee related events.
• Strong writing skills, creative brainstorming, and multitasking to support public relations, advertising, and marketing efforts.
Social media, online content and brand development
• Manage a robust social media presence and customer engagement efforts for all of our channels including our cafes, online/ecommerce and wholesale businesses.
• Analyze results of promotion and social media strategy and determine need for paid online advertising.
• Assist with developing an annual marketing and branding plan and work across various functions and channels including online/ecommerce, retail and wholesale to execute and complete on time.
• Assist with determining branded materials and products.
• Oversee our website maintenance including updating new coffee farm information, ensuring all website information is current , proposing new promotions, updating for new press and developing new and fresh content.
• Develop and outline content for online and print materials and build photography and videography to support our brand strategy.
• Develop a 90-day plan for weekly newsletter content.
Coordination and Administration
• Coordinate with third party graphic design firm for all print, newsletter and web material
• Determine and outline photograph needs for new products and promotions and coordinate shoots with internal photographer.
• Proactively solicit feedback on projects from key/relevant stakeholders, analyze and synthesize feedback and make proposed recommendations/conclusions.
• Monitor and track results of marketing programs.
• Own project management including timelines, deadlines and scope of work.
• Provide support for the COO and the café teams as needed.
• Work as part of a small team to do whatever is necessary to operate a successful, world-class coffee company.
• Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, Communications or related field.
• Experience with newsletters/mailchimp,, blog writing, lead generation, and social media.
• A plus: Experience with WordPress, SEO, google, facebook & Instagram paid advertising, and Google Analytics.
• Ability to schedule activities in advance and coordinate with numerous staff and consultants.
• Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to juggle a dynamic, full schedule of tasks, detail oriented and reliable.
• Highly energetic, positive, flexible, and team player.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• High caliber written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to stay calm in stressful environments.
• Love of coffee.
George Howell Coffee is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all. Please submit qualifications and cover letter with salary requirements to: